This is actually recipe for two cakes. Light modification of additions and you may choose your preferred flavour. The method and main ingredients are identical and additions change the cake into cranberry citrus or cranberry cinnamony and spices cake. The streusel on the top is similar and the difference is in added nuts and flavours. In both cases the cake is delicious and moist, stays fresh and soft. The cranberry fruits are clearly and sour delectable and they refreshing the whole taste. Enjoy!
round spring pan 9 inch
- ½ (115g) cup butter, melted
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (240g) all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (125ml, 78g) sour cream
- ¼ cup (62ml) milk
- 120 g fresh cranberries
- cake 1. citrus: zest of 1 orange, zest of 1 lemon
- cake 2. cinnamony: 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ½ teaspoon of each: ground allspices, cloves, anise
- ½ cup (80g) all purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50g) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons (45g) butter, melted
- cake 1. citrus: ½ cup (120g) chopped walnuts, 1 teaspoon orange zest, 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- cake 2. cinnamony: ½ cup (120g) chopped hazelnuts, 1/8 teaspoon of each: cinnamon, ground allspices, cloves, anise
- ½ cup (80g) icing sugar
- cake 1. citrus: 3-4 tablespoons orange and lemon juice (mixed together)
- cake 2. cinnamony: 3-4 tablespoons milk with ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
In a bowl of standing mixer stir together melted butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Add orange and lemon zest for cake 1. (citrus). Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix until incorporated. Add cinnamon and spices for cinnamon cake. Add sour cream and milk, mix until combined. Spoon the cake mixture to the prepared pan. Scatter washed cranberry fruits on the top in way they cover the whole top in one layer. Sprinkle the top with streusel (1. or 2. for desired taste of cake) to cover the fruit underneath. To make streusel just mix all ingredients together with appropriate additions for desired taste of cake. Bake (preferably in convection oven) about 45 minutes or a little longer (in traditional oven) - until the tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Leave in the pan for 15 minutes then remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Before serving sprinkle the top with icing.
Make icing: beat icing sugar with juice (cake 1.) or milk (cake 2.) until smooth and thick but still liquid mixture.
The recipe comes from 'Bake from scratch' magazine however modified by me.
Category: Tea- and bundtcakes.
Tags: cinnamon, cranberry, hazelnut, lemon, orange, walnuts.